Saturday 15 September 2012

Quinoa Cakes

A prior rice/cous cous/noodle/pasta fiend I adore quinoa as a protein rich, low carb substitute! As you may have already picked up, I love meals I can pack in containers and put in my bag without risk of it spilling or spoiling! A typical day for me includes waking at around 5am, travelling 2 hours to my university, having class all day and then going to the gym or dance class. Therefore, I am taking basically all my meals with me when I leave in the morning and need something easy and travel-friendly! This was one of my very first clean recipes and I still love to make them on a regular basis.

Quinoa Cakes



1c uncooked quinoa
2c water
1/2 low fat cottage cheese (a staple in my fridge, YUM!)
1/2c grated carrot
1/2c grated zucchini
3 whole eggs
3 tbs whole wheat flour
1 onion diced
100g diced mushroom
1/2c low fat cheese

Boil water in a pot and add quinoa. Reduce the heat from high to medium and cover for 18 minutes. (Keep checking it, I ruined one of mums pots by getting distracted!) Combine all ingredients in a big bowl and be prepared to get your hands dirty! When combined heat a non stick fry pan to medium/high heat and scoop batter into the pan. I used a 1/2c to scoop it in as the mixture is quite running and then I patted it in the cake shape with a spatula. Cook for about 4-6 minutes each side or until golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment